How Flooding Damages Homes in Camillus
Frequently Experienced Issues and Their Solutions After Flood Damage in Camillus
Extreme swings in temperature in mid-winter in recent years mean residents of Camillus can expect overland flooding at times unexpected in the past. Warm weather just after the first of the year contributes to overland flooding due to melting and ice jams on waterways like Nine Mile Creek. The strength of the flood can undermine foundations, and even slow creeping of the rising waters causes seepage into lower levels of homes.
Destructive Nature of Flood Water
When coping with Camillus flood damage in your home, you quickly realize how destructive water can be to structural components and contents. Flood water’s impact can result in the following:
Impairment of the physical integrity of the supporting structures of the home because of the pressure and force of the storm damage or flooding, including:
- Foundation washouts
- Bending or shearing off of wood or metal framing
- Breaking of windows, doors, and siding
Deterioration of structural components as porous materials saturate, pack down, warp, and crumble, including:
- Ceiling tiles
Contamination of surfaces, contents, and air quality as floodwaters contain a wide range of hazardous substances, including:
- Chemicals from industrial sites, roadways, and landscaping
- Human and animal waste, which can contain blood and fecal-borne pathogens
- Asbestos and lead from surfaces and structures inside your home disturbed by the flood and clean up activity
- Molds and mildews
Mitigation and Remediation
SERVPRO’s team of the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC)--trained technicians employ many strategies to secure the structure, halt progressive deterioration, and contain and remove biohazards before lawful disposal. Cleaning, disinfecting, and applied structural and contents drying bring spaces and belongings back to preloss condition.
- Tarping and boarding up holes and bracing the structure
- Cutting off electricity and other utilities until the risk of shock or fire disappears
Impeding Continuing Damage
- Water pumping and extracting
- Containing contaminated silt and water for appropriate removal and disposal following local regulation
- Creating a buffer in spaces only partially flooded
- Packing out contents
- Erecting containment barriers around workspaces using 6-mil polyethylene and negative pressure air scrubbers
- Use of personal protective equipment (PPE) for worker safety and to prevent tracking hazardous waste throughout your home
- Deep cleaning of surfaces
- Disinfection of surfaces with EPA-registered antimicrobials
- Thorough drying of wet areas, including building cavities, and structures using air movers, heaters, and dehumidifiers
Entrust your home to the professionals from SERVPRO of SW Onondaga County if mid-winter thaws flood your residence. Call us at (315) 488-3900 for an evaluation, plan, and estimated timeline and cost.
More about Camillus.