What Guidelines & Standards Are Followed for Mold Remediation?
SERVPRO Adheres to EPA & IICRC Standards for Mold Removal
Camillus, NY, is a lovely suburb of Syracuse. Rolling hills, historic sites, and beautiful homes spread out over the town. While there is a great diversity of people and jobs in the city, there is one thing all the homes and businesses have in common. They all are subject to mold at any given time. When a home develops mold, you want a professional company with experience and the proper training. SERVPRO is that company.
What are the EPA Mold Removal Guidelines?
Mold damage in Camillus can impact both property and people. It can cause health effects. It is not something you should ignore or attempt to clear up with DIY treatments. The EPA mold remediation guidelines are primarily for schools and commercial buildings, but SERVPRO technicians adhere to EPA standards when working in homes. We provide the highest level of cleanliness and sanitizing we can.
The EPA suggests the following:
- Moldy materials are cleaned and dried.
- Moldy items that cannot be cleaned are discarded. (* Non-moldy items get dried within 48 hours)
IICRC Mold Remediation Standards
SERVPRO technicians are the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) certified. They have the training and experience to mitigate mold projects of any size. The guidelines put in place by IICRC were developed by professionals in the indoor air quality and the restoration industries. There are five steps our experts following when dealing with mold remediation:
- Provide for Health & Safety – Mold can cause health effects, so remediation means protecting occupants and workers. SERVPRO techs use safety protocols and wear the correct PPE to ensure all safety measures get followed.
- Document Everything– The technicians document the building's condition, the extent of the contamination, and the amount of moisture saturation.
- Control the Containment– Containment is crucial to prevent the spread of mold spores. Negative air machines, air scrubbers, and physical containment all help prevent the spread of airborne mold.
- Remove Contamination– This involves removing materials with mold damage (controlled demolition), vacuuming damaged surfaces using vacuums with HEPA filters, and damp wiping with the right cleaning products.
- Fix the Moisture Problem– This is the most significant portion of dealing with mold. If you do not correct the moisture issue, the mold simply returns.
Homeowners should always make sure the company they choose has the right training to provide mold remediation. At SERVPRO, that is never a worry. We go above and beyond in training technicians regarding mold, water, flooding, and fire.
What Does Containment Involve?
Safety is a priority, and containment is an integral part of ensuring safety when dealing with mold. Our techs do everything possible to ensure airflow does not go from contained areas to other spaces. Building containment can involve installing plastic sheeting to create barriers. Negative air pressure is established, and HVAC vents are sealed. The technicians set up "clean rooms" and decontamination rooms that allow them to enter, leave, and place decontamination tools.
Mold Remediation Process Steps
Containment is only the beginning when dealing with mold damage. Some steps apply to any mold removal scene. The necessary steps include:
- Antimicrobial application
SERVPRO knows when items can be cleaned and when they must get thrown away. Often porous material, like fabric or carpet, may need to be discarded. Non-porous materials can be cleaned, and semi-porous material may be cleaned if the hyphae are not deeply embedded. Antibacterial and antifungal agents get used on impacted surfaces.
Choose a Company that Knows Mold
When it comes to mold damage in Camillus, never settle for a company that cannot back up their claims. Ask what certifications the company holds and what guidelines and standards they follow. At SERVPRO, we are open about our crew's qualifications and experience. We know you want to relax and enjoy your home without safety concerns. We are homeowners, too, and expect the same thing when we go home from our jobs.
If you think you might have mold, SERVPRO can help. We have tools and equipment that can detect hidden moisture and potential water issues. If you do not see mold but smell a musty odor anywhere in your home, mold is lurking somewhere. Although it is not possible to remove all mold spores from any building, we can stop mold in its tracks. Our goal is to leave your residence, "Like it never even happened."
Contact SERVPRO of SW Onondaga County at (315) 488-3900 for professional mold damage service. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.